Well, today we started our day with the belief that we may indeed be on the flight for Paris this evening... At 11:30am this morning our flight status changed from 'On Time' to 'Canceled'... Although this was sort of the inevitable, it was the start of a surreal snowball effect.... Our plane apparently never left Paris this morning for Atlanta... so of course there was no chance whatsoever we could even think to wish otherwise! Wow! The airline then said, well we can get you on a plane next Tuesday... My show ends later this week and next Tuesday I'm supposed to be teaching my 3rd and 4th workshop! So no that would not work....
Wardrobe packed, all the 'sample duffel bags' packed and sitting ready to get loaded for the airport. Last minute plans and direction for staff, and, well, 'Oh, canceled...'.
Sort of in disbelief we sat for a bit, thinking about all the people stranded and sleeping on their arms, suitcases and on the floor in airports, and miles away from their homes. All the folks in hotels wondering if their next flight would be canceled. And, oh, what about all the cargo. Leading me to my next problem. We have all the kits ready for 50 people signed up for my classes / workshops and we can't even ship the kits to them. It would be too late! Due to the backlog the couriers can't guarantee anything and even tell us straight it would take a minimum of 5 to 7 days....
So, we get in contact with the 'Pour l'amour du fil' organizers and express our disappointment and they can't believe it! We have a dedicated space waiting for my samples and set up on Wednesday, and here I sit in frustration that I can't be there to meet my obligation to them and their attendees. I don't think they believe it still, they posted the classes on their blog today (this made me cry). Just a weird state of affairs don't you think?
I must say, I am glad the decision was made for us, heading off into the air with the looming ash cloud business, leaving 3 children behind is not the best idea in the world. And tonight we hear on the news, another blast of ash has been spewed, with the possibility of a second shut-down even before the first has started up again! What a mess for many many people.
My postcards will be delivered to the hotel in Nantes, maybe... tomorrow, and we will try to divert them here to North Carolina but I suspect with the enormity of this crazy situation, I may never see my postcards in reality!
Kisses to all and my best wishes to all of you stuck somewhere trying to get home. Safe travels for all of you!