Jun 11, 2008

Oh Sweet Bird PATTERN



Well, I promised to give you the pattern for the sweet little birds I had in my booth, so here it is! It's so Easy Breezy... let me tell you. Little bird little bird, reminds me of a poem from one of my heroins, Emily Dickinson,

Have you got a brook in your little heart,
Where bashful flowers blow,
And blushing birds go down to drink,
And shadows tremble so?

So, above is an image of the bird we're going to make.

MATERIALS: 2 unique fabric scraps, about 11x5" ea.
Coordinating thread, I use Coats ® products.
Cotton fiber-fill,
Ribbon/Trim (about 3" for loop), 8" for around bird body (optional)
Buttons, Beads, Charms, Strings and Lace (all optional embellishment)
Embroidery Floss (again optional for embroidering eyes)
You can make this Sweet Bird oh so simple, or oh so embellished....

TOOLS: Sewing machine (one could make this by hand too), hand sewing needle, turning tool.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Lay out pattern pieces, cut 2 for the body, and 1 piece (along the fold) for the breast. I usually contrast fabrics but you could use one just as well ~ She still be sweet!
2. Take your 3" trim or ribbon piece and lay inward on your bird body (where marked on pattern) and sandwich inbetween body pieces (right sides together please)
3. Sew from underneath bird chin, around it's pointy beak, (swivel at beak tip), along the bird's back, and finish at the end of it's tail.
4. Unfold breast piece and pin in place, again right sides together, sew along one side all the way; and sew the other side leaving a 3" opening for turning and stuffing.
5. Clip corners, beak tip, and curved edges close, and turn the little bird right side out!
6. Stuff "Oh So Sweetly" with cotton fiber-fill until your critter is puffed up and proud to go.
7. Hand sew the opening closed with a slip stitch, carefully and with tiny stitches.

Optional Embellishing:
1. Wrap a piece of trim or ribbon around your bird body, and stitch in place, meeting at the trim loop.
2. Sew a button or buttons on your bird where ever you prefer. I like it's side!
3. Tie a few ribbons or trim, leather cord, stribng or floss into a simple knot, and sew onto the bottom of your bird so it all dangles on it's under belly. I added a simple crystal charm here too.
4. Instead of under belly ebellishment, one could simple tie a bow on it's back, add a charm or two and whalah, your bird is complete and ready for hanging, sitting, swinging, nesting or whatever you have in mind for it!

See, simple, quick and easy! That's the way I like 'em.

Any questions please email me or comment right here! We'll be sure to address any queries and do send images, we'd love to see them!

TG

PS Print out this page, and adjust bird pattern (enlarge in a copier) to accommodate 9.5" measurement a shown.



8 comments:

EmilyAnne said...

Mrs. Givens, I can't find the shade of Annabella fabric that I want. It seems like all the stores only carry the teal shade and I love your darker Charelston shade. Do you know who I should contact to find a retailer? Thank you for designing such lovely things!

Linda said...

Hi Tina,
This is Linda from AllegroFabrics and LilyandEbony. I met you on the last day of Quilt Market......Your fabrics are all selling very well on my AllegroFabrics website. I just wanted to let you know that I just got pictures back from my little model of a wonderful set I made using Chloe's Imagination..I posted it on my blog...
Linda

Anonymous said...

hi, I did this but not sure where to sew the bodice.. are there marks to see where does it start the folded part?
thanks. can you send me more pictures from the front and bottom?
thanks.
Marcela.-
mava@joffroy.com

Emil said...

Yes, it's kind of hard to make neat sewing. The most difficult thing lies in the finishing. I just can't explain with words about the difficulty. Like Marcela has said, it is better for you to give more pictures on the steps, not just the final result. Anyway, Thanks a lot. You do give a good idea on hand-made gift.

Stephan said...

whoaa.sweet bird..

i've tried to make the bird but the result is disappointing. the beck is too big and it is more rounded than it should be. would you like to tell me simpler way or design for a very very beginner like me?

Alvaro said...

Nice article! I've tried to make the bird but the result is disappointing. Do you think, what is wrong in my experiment? I think the most difficult thing lies in the finishing. Would you like to tell me simpler way or design for a very beginner like me? Anyway thanks for sharing this information.

Margaret said...

That is very cute. I think I will make it for my daughter. It is my first time to make this item. Is there any tips or recommendation for a beginner like me?

www.muebles-en-alcala-de-henares.com said...

It can't work in reality, that is exactly what I suppose.